Orlando Family Law Attorney
Based in Orlando, the Law Offices of Steve W. Marsee provides skilled and compassionate guidance to individuals and families facing a host of legal issues. Orlando family law attorney Steve W. Marsee provides tireless support to clients dealing with virtually any family legal situation, including divorce and other family issues such as prenuptial agreements, paternity and domestic violence.
Family law issues like divorce, determining child custody arrangements, and creating fair and effective child support and spousal support agreements are all multi-faceted issues. That is to say, what works for one family will not necessarily work for another. Work with an attorney who can accurately determine your family’s specific needs and work with you to develop a divorce or family-related legal arrangement that meets your needs.
For some couples, a divorce is straightforward and easy. For others, the process can be dragged out and quickly become very expensive. Work with an attorney who is committed to keeping your divorce from getting out of hand. Even in seemingly-simple divorces, unexpected issues like hidden assets or an unexpected appraisal of a couple’s business, home, or other asset can crop up and complicate the divorce. Contact our experienced Orlando family law attorney for advice today.
Why you need an experienced family law attorney in Orlando
Ending a marriage or dealing with other family issues typically involves many complex considerations and ever-changing Florida divorce laws. During a time when emotions run high, most individuals cannot make objective decisions. With more than a decade of experience helping families in a range of family law situations, attorney Steve W. Marsee helps clients predict the future effects of their decisions and establish a bright future for themselves and their children. Contact our offices today for a free consultation.
- Orlando Divorce
- Orlando Child Custody
- Orlando Child Support
- Orlando Domestic Violence
- Orlando Paternity
- Orlando Prenuptial Agreement
- Orlando Property Distribution
- Orlando Spousal Support
- Orlando Visitation Rights
Do you Know how a Florida Divorce Works?
The varied divorce laws between the states mean that divorces are subject to slightly different rules in each state. As an individual who is considering filing for divorce, it is important that you become familiar with the terms and rules specific to Florida divorces. Even if you have previously divorced in another state, the laws regarding divorces might have been different in your previous state – do not assume that issues like property division, determining child and spousal support, and the waiting period are resolved in Florida the same way that they were resolved in your previous state.
A few basic guidelines to Florida divorce and family issues include:
Residency requirement – To file for divorce in Florida, at least one of the parties involved must have resided in the state for at least six months prior to filing. The divorce petition may be filed in the county where the couple lives together or, if they separate prior to filing, the county where either spouse resides.
Property division – Florida is an equitable distribution state, which means that in a divorce, each partner receives a share of the couple’s property that is deemed to be “equitable,” or suited to his or her needs following the divorce. This does not always result in a 50/50 split of the couple’s property, but rather situations such as one partner receiving the couple’s home while the other receives a larger share of the couple’s savings.
Waiting period – Although divorces generally take much longer to resolve, Florida law states that a couple must wait a minimum of 20 days from filing for divorce to have the divorce finalized.
Simplified vs. regular divorces – In Florida, it is possible for a couple to have what is known as a simplified divorce, which is an expedited version of the divorce process that can allow a couple to completely dissolve their marriage within a matter of weeks. The requirements that a couple must meet to be eligible for a simplified divorce include both partners agreeing to this type of divorce, neither party seeking spousal support, and the absence of minor children.
The qualities to look for in an Orlando family law attorney
The Law Offices of Steve W. Marsee provides full legal support for family issues by using:
- Up-to-date legal knowledge – The state of Florida frequently reviews and changes the rules of family law, particularly as applied to divorce. Family law attorneys must remain current on ever-changing laws to ensure protection of the rights of their clients.
- Compassion – A family law attorney must also have a full understanding of the emotional concerns of clients. These issues must be addressed for families to achieve the most beneficial results.
- Temperament – There may come a point in your case where you need your attorney to be assertive (or even aggressive) in order to properly protect you from your spouse. While he was a law enforcement officer, Mr. Marsee successfully handled numerous life-threatening situations. As an attorney, his ability to maintain a cool and calm demeanor has helped him resolve his clients’ problems and protect their rights in a way few other attorneys can. And when questioning witnesses, Mr. Marsee’s vast interrogation experience enables him to get to the facts no matter how evasive or complicated the witness.
- Attention to detail – Achieving successful resolution to most family issues requires a thorough understanding of the underlying elements in a case. Your attorney must be capable of substantiating financial and other details to help prepare an effective case.
- Negotiation – Many family law cases do not require courtroom trial, provided your family law attorney has the skills to help the family negotiate a fair resolution. An attorney with mediation experience can often effectively help families find common ground without going before a judge.
- Litigation – When settlement is not an option, you need an attorney who can aggressively prepare and present your case in court.
Compassionate support for your Orlando family law issues
The Law Offices of Steve W. Marsee recognizes the importance of combining compassion with objective guidance to ensure the best outcome for the entire family. Contact us today for a consultation, our experienced Orlando family law attorney can help you.