Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Orlando Divorce Attorney
Experienced Orlando Divorce Attorney
Call to Schedule a Consultation 407-521-7171
Orlando Divorce Attorney > Orlando Name Change Attorney

Orlando Name Change Attorney

After a divorce, one of the things a woman may think about is changing her last name. She may want to restore her maiden name, since there is no point continuing on with her husband’s name if she is no longer married.

If you decide to change your name, the best time to do it is during the divorce. That way, it can be entered into the divorce decree, saving you extra steps.

Want to learn more about the steps involved? Orlando name change attorney Steve W. Marsee, P.A. Attorney at Law can address your concerns.

The Process

If you decide to legally change your last name, try to have it done during the divorce. That way, your name can be restored in your Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. Even if you did not request it at first, you can have the petition amended to request that your maiden name be restored.

At the final hearing, the judge will confirm that you want to change your last name and ask you some questions to ensure that you are not trying to change your name for an illegal purpose. For example, you cannot change your name so it is the exact same one as a celebrity in an attempt to copy that celebrity.

If everything looks good, the name change will be granted and your restored name will be in your final judgment. This document serves as proof of identification and age so that you can legally use your restored name.

Once your name change request has been approved, be sure to get several certified copies of the final judgment. This will allow you to change your name with various entities, such as the Social Security Administration and the Department of Motor Vehicles so you can get a new Social Security card and driver’s license. You might also need your final judgment to change your name at other places, such as your employer, banks, school records, credit card companies, insurance companies, mortgage lenders, and voter registration service.

There are many other places in which you may need to change your last name. This includes your doctor, dentist, veterinarian, and utility company. Business owners in the state of Florida will also need to update your name with the secretary of state. You can do this right away or later on with your annual report.

If you don’t change your name at the time of your divorce, you need to file a new petition for a name change. This may require filing fees. Contact a lawyer to learn more.

Contact Us Today

After you get your final divorce decree, you are officially a free woman and you may wish to celebrate your newfound freedom with a name change. Find out the easiest way to change your last name.

Orlando name change attorney Steve W. Marsee, P.A. Attorney at Law can answer your questions about restoring last names. To learn more, schedule a consultation. Call 407-521-7171 or fill out the online form.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn