Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Orlando Divorce Attorney
Experienced Orlando Divorce Attorney
Call to Schedule a Consultation 407-521-7171
Orlando Divorce Attorney > Orlando Parent Relocation Attorney

Orlando Parent Relocation Attorney

After a divorce, you may want to start a new life elsewhere. However, this can be difficult if you have custody of a child.

While a parent can move with a child, they cannot relocate without permission from the court. If you do so without permission, you could face legal issues.

There are several good reasons to relocate. For example, you may want to live in an area with a better cost of living. You may want to start a new job. Perhaps you want to go back to school or live closer to family so they can help you with child care responsibilities. You should not, however, move away simply in an act of revenge against your ex.

If you do decide to relocate, do it the right way. Stay on the right side of the law by contacting Orlando parent relocation attorney Steve W. Marsee, P.A. Attorney at Law first.

What to Know About Relocation in Florida

In Florida, there is a difference between moving and relocating. The state has a 50-mile rule, which means it considers a relocation to be a change in location 50 miles away from a person’s current location for 60 or more consecutive days. This means that a move within the same city may not be considered a relocation, but a move from northern to southern Florida would be.

If you decide to relocate your child, notice is crucial. You have to be proactive and provide as much advance notice as possible. If the other parent is relocating, they must legally provide you with advance notice.

When relocating, there must be agreement or approval from the other parent or the court. Ideally, the parent should obtain agreement or consent with the other parent. An agreement is the easier option and will typically include updated time-sharing schedules and provisions for transportation.

If the parent does not approve of the relocation, they can get approval from a judge. They will need to file a petition with the court.

The petition must include the following:

  • Address and phone number of where the parent wishes to relocate
  • Date of the proposed relocation
  • Reasons for the relocation
  • Proposed visitation schedule after relocation
  • Proposed plan for transportation of the child

It’s always good when both parents can work together and find a collaborative solution. By acting amicably, the parents can keep conflict to a minimum.

If you relocate with your child without getting the court’s permission, you will face significant consequences. You will likely get your visitation and custody schedule changed. On top of that, you may also face fines and jail time.

Contact Us Today

While you can relocate with your child after a divorce, it’s not an easy process. You need to be proactive and understand the laws involved so you don’t lose custody.

Orlando parent relocation attorney Steve W. Marsee, P.A. Attorney at Law can ensure you follow the processes. Schedule a consultation today by calling 407-521-7171 or filling out the online form.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn