Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Orlando Divorce Attorney
Experienced Orlando Divorce Attorney
Call to Schedule a Consultation 407-521-7171
Orlando Divorce Attorney > Orlando Child Support Modification Attorney

Orlando Child Support Modification Attorney

In a divorce with children, the judge has to decide on issues such as child support. Child support is defined as an ongoing payment from one parent to another to benefit the child. Child support is mandatory based on the premise that both parents should financially support their children, even if the child is not living with them.

Monthly payments of child support are based on state laws and income. At the time of the order, it is believed that the parent would be able to pay that amount until the child turns 18 years old. However, things can change in an instant.

With the way things are in the world, a person can lose their job at any time. They may become disabled and unable to work. These situations would make it difficult to pay for child support on top of other bills and expenses. So what can a struggling parent do?

One thing you should not do is simply ignore your child support obligation. If you fail to pay child support, you could face a variety of penalties, such as fines, license suspension, garnished wages, and even jail time.

The good news is that you can file a modification. A modification, if you qualify, allows you to change your child support order. You may be able to lower the amount or temporarily waive it until your financial situation improves. Contact Orlando child support modification attorney Steve W. Marsee, P.A. Attorney at Law

Do You Qualify?

Are you eligible for the court to review your child support order? You must meet these conditions:

  • The current order will not end in six months from the time of the request and your order has not been reviewed or changed in the last three years, or
  • There has been a huge change in your life, such as a decrease in income or change in your health, such as a disability.

Requesting a Change

The parent should contact the Child Support Program or file a petition in circuit court to change their support order. They must provide their financial information, which is reviewed to determine if there is a substantial change in circumstances. The Program will perform a thorough review and mail the results to both parents. If the Program agrees and changes the order, the Program will notify the parents, who are entitled to a formal hearing. If the Program denies the request and refuses to change the order, the parents will be notified and no further action is needed.

Contact Us Today

Child support orders are not set in stone. Financial situations can change in an instant, making it hard for a parent to support their child.

Orlando child support modification attorney Steve W. Marsee, P.A. Attorney at Law can assess your situation and help you understand your legal options. A modification may be in your best interest. Let us help. Fill out the online form or call our office at 407-521-7171 to schedule a consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn