Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Orlando Divorce Attorney
Experienced Orlando Divorce Attorney
Call to Schedule a Consultation 407-521-7171
Orlando Divorce Attorney > Orlando Past Due Support Collection Attorney

Orlando Past Due Support Collection Attorney

Many Florida parents have been ordered to pay child support to the other parent after a divorce. If the order is in a divorce decree, and it is written and signed by a judge, then it is enforceable. If the order is oral or unofficial, then it is not enforceable.

When a child support order is enforceable, it means it is legally binding and the custodial parent may seek recourse against the other parent if they refuse to obey the order. When a parent fails to pay child support, this amount adds up and it is referred to as arrears.

Many parents have trouble receiving monthly child support payments. They often rely on this money to help pay for their child’s expenses, such as food, shelter, clothing, and medical care. When they do not receive this money in a timely manner, it can cause extreme financial hardship.

The good news is that you can attempt to collect past due child support at any time. Even if your child is 18 years old, you can still collect it. In fact, you can collect it at any time. Under Florida law, there is no statute of limitations, or time limit, on collection.

The Florida Department of Revenue has the legal authority to pursue a parent to enforce child support arrears indefinitely. Ready to take action? Contact Orlando past due support collection attorney Steve W. Marsee, P.A. Attorney at Law to see how he can help.

What Can the Custodial Parent Do?

If you are a custodial parent who is not receiving child support payments from the other parent, you can seek compensation for missing payments by filing a motion for contempt with the circuit court. The court will schedule a hearing on the matter and the judge will issue a decision about the total child support amount as well as whether or not interest should be assessed on the missed payments.

If the paying parent refuses to pay or agree to a payment plan, then the court can hand down punishment, including a jail sentence of up to 179 days. However, jail time is often used as a last resort. The court will often impose other penalties first, such as:

  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Loss of vehicle registration
  • Seizure of bank account funds
  • Seizure of tax refunds
  • Seizure of lottery winnings
  • Loss of any hunting and fishing licenses
  • Loss of professional licenses

Contact Us Today

If the other parent is not paying you child support in a timely manner, don’t just ignore it. There are no deadlines for taking action, as the statute of limitations does not expire in Florida. Get the money you need to care for your children.

Orlando past due support collection attorney Steve W. Marsee, P.A. Attorney at Law can help you get past due child support from a deadbeat parent. Understand the legal options available to you. Schedule a consultation with our office by calling 407-521-7171 or filling out the online form.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn