Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Orlando Divorce Attorney
Experienced Orlando Divorce Attorney
Call to Schedule a Consultation 407-521-7171

When Does a Child Time-Sharing Order End?


If you have minor children, a child time-sharing order will most likely be part of your divorce settlement. This type of order ensures that a child has ongoing contact with both of his or her parents after their divorce. Once the child becomes an adult, he or she chooses the relationship he or she has with each parent.

A Child Support Order is Separate from a Child Custody Order

In Florida, parents are usually required to pay child support until their children turn 18. However, many young adults turn 18 while they are still in high school. In cases like this, child support is paid until the young adult graduates or turns 19, whichever comes first. When a young adult has special needs, child support may be extended into adulthood.

A child custody order is separate from a child support order. When a young adult turns 18 or otherwise becomes a legal adult, his or her custody order terminates and his or her parents are no longer legally obligated to care for him or her. This also means that the young adult cannot be legally required to maintain a relationship with either parent. 

How and When a Child Becomes an Adult

Usually, a child becomes a legal adult on his or her 18th birthday. There are circumstances under which this can happen sooner, though. A minor can become a legal adult through the emancipation process, which occurs automatically when:

  • The child is legally married; or
  • The child enlists in the United States military.

An adolescent can also seek emancipation through the court. Once a young adult is emancipated, his or her parents are under no obligation to support him or her financially or in any other way. Additionally, he or she cannot be legally required to maintain a relationship with either parent or any other family member.

Making Arrangements for an Adult Child with Special Needs

When an adult has a mental or physical condition that prevents him or her from living independently, the adult’s parents must determine where he or she will live and how he or she will be cared for. A child support order can extend into adulthood when a child has special needs. Regarding his or her day-to-day living support, the young adult’s parents must establish legal guardianship for him or her. This individual is tasked with making decisions on the young adult’s behalf like the medical care he or she will receive, how his or her finances will be handled, and where he or she will live. 

Work with an Experienced Orlando Family Lawyer

As your children grow and become more independent, stay attuned to how their needs change and how you can modify your parenting plan to accommodate their needs. Learn more about Florida time-sharing orders from an experienced Orlando family lawyer. To get started with the Law Offices of Steve W. Marsee, P.A., contact our office to schedule your consultation.



Facebook Twitter LinkedIn