Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Orlando Divorce Attorney
Experienced Orlando Divorce Attorney
Call to Schedule a Consultation 407-521-7171

What to do in Cases Where Your Ex Refuses to Follow the Child Custody Orders


In situations where your ex refuses to obey the child custody orders, it is reasonable to feel extremely frustrated. It may be something as simple as your ex bringing your child home well after he or she was supposed to. Or it could be something more serious like bring your child out of the state or country without your permission.

These situations can place a lot of excessive stress on you. It is important to know that you do not have to put up with your ex’s behavior. You can take measures to make your ex obey the child custody orders.

Below are some steps that you should consider taking if your ex does not obey the custody orders:

  • Have your divorce attorney send your ex a letter. Having your attorney write a formal letter to your ex is the first step you should take. The letter should inform your ex that they are obligated to comply with all child custody orders or else face severe legal penalties. The letter should be enough to make your ex consider the consequences and convince him or her to follow the orders.
  • Have a conversation with the Judge. After informing the judge that your ex is disobeying the child custody agreement, you can ask him or her to consider modifying the original child custody arrangement. If your ex continues to break the order, the judge may determine that it is best to shorten your ex’s visitation times or even require the visitations to be supervised.
  • Ensure that you follow the child custody order. Just because your ex refusing to follow the child custody order, do not mean you should break it too. By not following the order, it can hurt your case. If you are forced to go back to court, the judge may believe that you were spiteful and rule against you.
  • Keep track of all the details. It is important to document everything when you are having problems with child custody. Make notes of all the times that your ex failed to follow the child custody orders. Also, you should keep track of the steps you have attempted to resolve the problem, and the manner in which your ex reacted.
  • File a motion for contempt of a court order. If nothing else you do persuade your ex to follow the child custody orders, it may be necessary to file this motion. Your ex will be ordered by the judge to go to court to give the reasons for his or her conduct. Then, if the judge determines that your ex is guilty, he or she may face serious consequences.

Please do not Delay Contacting an Experienced Family Lawyer 

The Law Offices of Steve W. Marsee are here to help you. We can draft a firm letter to your ex explaining to him or her the reasons they have to start obeying the child custody orders. If this is not enough we will determine the most appropriate course of action.

We know that child custody issues can be stressful and laborious, we recommend that you contact a lawyer as soon as possible. Our skilled lawyers will be happy to answer all of your questions regarding child custody laws in Florida.

Our Orlando family law attorneys are here to fight for you and your child during this difficult time. You can count on our team to get you the best possible outcome. Call now at 407-521-7171 or contact us online to discuss your custody options more in-depth.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn